Sunday, September 6, 2009

pivot, live at the black cat, washington, dc, 9/5/2009



Last night I trekked into DC to witness the awesome live musical force that is Pivot perform at The Black Cat. Pivot's sound is as strange and beautiful as the wildlife and landscape of their homeland Australia. Imagine if Rush and Kraftwerk decided to collaborate, and it might sound something like Pivot. They actually opened up for Warp Records labelmates !!! (also known as chk chk chk), but I didn't really stick around for the headlining act. The trio played a number of tracks from their instrumental masterpiece "O Soundtrack My Heart", one of my top ten faves from 2008, as well as what sounded like some newer material. I don't think folks in the states are too familiar with the group yet, but judging by the crowd's reaction last night, it sounded like they certainly won over some new fans. The band put on a rousing, solid performance, well worth the twenty bucks I spent for a ticket and the long wait for the metro.











Watch a live rendition of title track "O Soundtrack My Heart" HERE on YouTube!.