Sunday, January 16, 2011

saturday at brandon park






Yesterday afternoon, after dropping Kris off to work, I drove past the local bowling alley in Leesburg, where there was an unusually enormous vulture hovering around above. I ended up turning around my car to get a closer look. I only wish I had my camera because the vulture was not too threatened by my presence and I could have gotten some real nice shots. At least I got to see it up close though.  So, I ended up racing back home after a few minutes to get mine and my wife's cameras with the intention of returning to the bowling alley parking lot. Well, the giant vulture, which was a turkey vulture because of it's reddish, bald head (see the photo just above) was now perched in some nearby trees along with a bunch of smaller black vultures (no red, bald heads). I got some decent shots, but ended up spending a good hour just hanging out and enjoying the chilly air and peaceful sights and sounds around me, including some mallard ducks and an elusive blue heron who makes an appearance every now and then around the area. I really should do this kind of thing more often, as well as learn how to use my wife's neglected Rebel SLR. 






update: I just found out from a friend of the passing of Trish Keenan, who was the lead singer for the wonderful band Broadcast, who died this morning at 9:00 AM from pneumonia complications. If you followed my blog from the beginning, you might recall some concert pics I posted, as well as a couple album reviews I did for her band. I really loved their music and Trish's voice, and it's so hard to believe she's now gone. This is truly sad news to lose someone so young, who was a true creative visionary. These photos are dedicated to Trish and the band.